What is Cultural Photography?-

After reading this article I’ve learned that cultural photography is finding a way to show my work. What cultural photography meant to him was a combination that grew out of a necessity. I also learned most of us will spend half our lives trying to define who we are and the other half trying to figure out who we are when we are not doing the thing that defines us. When people asks us about who we consider ourselves to be, it can create a range of emotions. For a few years he considered himself a documentary photography but the term never sat with him. 

After reading more of the article I found out that he explored to find the right existing categories of photography. He was  not a documentary photographer, nor solely a portrait photography, or an architectural photographer, street photographer, landscape photographer, or any other type of photographer I could find. In 2012 he pitched the early phases of my project “Lost Ceremony” to a bunch of editors. pitched the early phases of my project “Lost Ceremony” to a bunch of editors. He saw the origin of the project coming from the Sumi ink tradition of Japanese calligraphy, calligraphy scrolls, and silk paintings.

Cultural anthropology is a branch of anthropology focused on the study of cultural variation among humans and is in contrast to social anthropology which perceives cultural variation as a subset of the anthropological constant. He separated his aesthetic away from the color saturated world of National Geographic was only step one.